Tuesday, January 10, 2012

My Top 5 Concerts of 2011

I've been planning on posting this for weeks but I've just been so busy that I haven't been able to finish the post until now. They say better late than never so here we go...

2011 was a great year for concerts in Vancouver! Though I didn't attend as many shows as I would have liked to, I did manage to make it out for some goodies.

A few shows that I loved, but didn't include on the list were Cut Copy, Moonface and lastly, Atrak for the Smirnoff Life Exchange project.

5. St. Vincent at The Commodore
I loved how intimate this concert was. You could tell everyone in attendance was a diehard fan.

I was pretty into St. Vincent a few years back and not totally familiar with the newer material. Still, the show was great.

I see St. Vincent is set to perform at Coachella this year. If you're going, definitely do not miss this set.



4. Elliot Brood at The Commodore
Fantastic show! This was a packed house and the energy from the crowd was beyond.

This night kicked off the start of a four day weekend for me, so I would have been in a great mood even if the band sucked. Luckily I didn't have to worry about that.


My pal Michael and I at the Commodore 


3. Wolf Parade at The Commodore *Their "last" show ever*
I've already blogged about my love for Wolf Parade, so there's no need to rehash what already's been accepted as fact. What I will say is I still haven't completely accepted that this band is done for good.


2. Bon Iver at The Orpheum
I've been a Bon Iver fan for a couple of years now, and when I heard Justin Vernon was bringing the show to Vancouver, I knew I couldn't miss it!

If you're a fan, you know their sound is pretty laid back. The thing I loved about the live show was that they took some of their best songs and gave them a more upbeat flare.
Bon Iver
Justin Vernon
1. Watch The Throne tour at Rogers Arena
Oh my god! I am not a huge fan stadium shows, but wow. This concert was the best show, hands down, I saw all year, if not, the best show of all time. Big statement, I know. I loved everything about it from the fire shooting off the stage, to turning around and seeing Kanye West rapping behind me while Jay-Z rapped in front of me. I felt like I was surrounded by greatness.

Not only did they perform all of the best songs from Watch the Throne, but they also did their classics like Kanye's Flashing Lights, All Falls Down and Jesus Walks, with Jay-Z's Empire State of Mind and Hard Knock Life. They topped the night off with 6 performances of Ni**as in Paris in a row. Ah-Maze-Ing!

Jay-Z and Kanye West - Otis
Considering I bought my 7th row ticket just an hour before the show, this was one spontaneous night for the books.
Hova

1 comments:

hey love your blog, great pictures!

www.ashfld.blogspot.com

Post a Comment